USCIS Internally Transfers Casework from Vermont Service Center to California Service Center and Nebraska Service Center

USCIS recently began transferring certain casework from the Vermont Service Center (VSC) to the California Service Center (CSC) and Nebraska Service Center (NSC) to balance workloads. The CSC will now process Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

How You Will Be Affected If We Transfer Your Case

If USCIS transferred your case, USCIS will send you a transfer notice. Your original receipt number will not change, and the transfer will not delay the processing of your case except for the additional time needed to physically mail/transfer the file.

How to Track the Status of Your Case

You can check your case status at Case Status Online by entering your receipt number. You can also sign up to receive automatic case status updates by email.

If you do not receive a decision on your case within the published processing time, you may submit an inquiry using e-Request or by calling the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 800-375-5283 of USCIS. If USCIS sent you any notice (such as a Request for Evidence), please read the notice carefully and follow the instructions provided.

If you move while your case is pending, you must inform USCIS of your address change. You may file a change of address on USCIS website or by calling the NCSC. It is important that you notify USCIS of any address change as soon as possible, so that you continue to receive notifications from USCIS.